As a Facility Manager, understanding the various aspects of fire and life safety for your building(s) or space(s) is not only paramount to avoiding fines, but critical to protecting your employees and patrons. This is no easy task, as you are probably responsible for numerous locations locally, regionally, and/or locations that are scattered around the country. On top of that, there is the fire and life safety equipment itself as well as the numerous codes, regulations, and laws that govern over it, requiring installation of this or service of that. It can be overwhelming trying to get your arms around all of it or, moreover, even knowing what equipment or systems you have or who’s responsible for maintaining it.
A colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas, Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a life-threatening by-product found in fumes produced by burning gasoline, propane, wood, charcoal, or other fuel used in vehicles, furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, gas ranges, or grills. Most of the time CO is released in the air outside, where it is relatively harmless. But when CO accumulates in a tightly sealed or enclosed space, like a home or building, it can be very lethal, very fast.